Wednesday, October 5, 2011

October Skies Give Me Hope

"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." ~ D.H. Lawrence

Well, soccer should have been a fun and healthy outlet for my kids but due to bad coaching and bullying it has been an overall horrid experience. My kids complained from about the 3rd practice on but I ignored it because I felt it was important for them to learn to stand up for themselves. I eventually told the coach about the problems and he did nothing. I really think he was trying to drive out all the kids that were not from Sewanee for some sick elitist gratification.
So, we've quit even though I rarely ever quit anything I start. I am sad to see the world evolving into a hard and Godless place. The boys said only 2 others besides themselves actually went to church and treated them with respect. The majority of these kids certainly acted as thought their god is the world. Threats and tearing down one another pretty much characterized games and practice (imagine Lord of the Flies)! I have taught my children not to do those things because they are not things Jesus would do. Times like these cause me to question what I have taught them and even be angry that I have not raised them to be aggressive.
However, upon reflection of what our true purpose is on this broken planet, I have resigned not to feel sorry for myself or my children because we have a higher calling. Our boys will have nothing to explain on Judgment day concerning their behavior on the Sewanee U14 soccer team. God can look at that record and say, “Well done my good and faithful servants."
I hope they turn out to be the Christian men I have raised them to be. I hope that they are better able to bear the brokenness of this world than I. I see every injustice and have a hard time letting go.
The October skies give me hope in the promise that our Creator loves us so much he put little reminders everywhere that He is ever present, ever watchful, ever loving, and ever faithful in His promises to us.

In Psalm 37
David counsels, Trust in the Lord and do good—Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for him—Cease from anger and forsake wrath—The meek will inherit the earth—The Lord loves justice and does not forsake his Saints.

A Psalm of David.


1 Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity.

2 For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb.

3 Trust in the Lord, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.

4 Delight thyself also in the Lord; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

5 Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.

6 And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday.

7 Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.

8 Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil.

9 For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the Lord, they shall inherit the bearth.

10 For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.

11 But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

12 The wicked plotteth against the just, and gnasheth upon him with his teeth.

13 The Lord shall laugh at him: for he seeth that his day is coming.

14 The wicked have drawn out the sword, and have bent their bow, to cast down the poor and needy, and to slay such as be of upright conversation.

15 Their sword shall enter into their own heart, and their bows shall be broken.

16 A little that a righteous man hath is better than the riches of many wicked.

17 For the arms of the wicked shall be broken: but the Lord upholdeth the righteous.

18 The Lord knoweth the days of the upright: and their inheritance shall be forever.

19 They shall not be ashamed in the evil time: and in the days of famine they shall be satisfied.

20 But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the Lord shall be as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away.

21 The wicked borroweth, and payeth not again: but the righteous sheweth mercy, and giveth.

22 For such as be blessed of him shall inherit the earth; and they that be cursed of him shall be cut off.

23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way.

24 Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the Lord upholdeth him with his hand.

25 I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.

26 He is ever merciful, and lendeth; and his seed is blessed.

27 Depart from evil, and do good; and dwell for evermore.

28 For the Lord loveth judgment, and forsaketh not his saints; they are preserved for ever: but the seed of the wicked shall be cut off.

29 The righteous shall inherit the land, and dwell therein forever.

30 The mouth of the righteous speaketh wisdom, and his tongue talketh of judgment.

31 The law of his God is in his heart; none of his steps shall slide.

32 The wicked watcheth the righteous, and seeketh to slay him.

33 The Lord will not leave him in his hand, nor condemn him when he is judged.

34 Wait on the Lord, and keep his way, and he shall exalt thee to inherit the land: when the wicked are cut off, thou shalt see it.

35 I have seen the wicked in great power, and spreading himself like a green bay tree.

36 Yet he passed away, and, lo, he was not: yea, I sought him, but he could not be found.
....

Promises so that we do not concern ourselves with thoughts of vengeance and retaliation. God's got it under control! Play on.....
.


Please join my husband's blog: http://christopherlbenton.blogspot.com/2011/10/video-portfolio.html

1 comment:

  1. I love those boys, and I know that they are strong, just like their Mama. They will make it through this and will be great in all that they do, if they keep the Lord first in their lives. I encourage you and the boys to give this injustice to Jesus. He'll fix it, but not if you don't act upon it first. (A preacher said that last Sunday) I love you too, Megan. This too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete